I would LOVE the opportunity to come teach your group! Please email for details.
LET THE MAGIC IN YOU COME OUT!

Search This Blog

9.02.2011

I've Begun!!!

...and for me, that's sometimes the hardest part of a project. 

After choosing my picture earlier this week and making the Canvas, I looked through my container of itty bitty scraps and realized immediately that I'd chosen a rather monotone picture. Wonder why I didn't see that right away?!?



I'd said that wasn't going to happen again.


But this photo just has to be made into a quilt. It's been calling me for a couple years now. 

Next, I entered into the process of picking through scraps - I love to do that - and ironing my itty bittys


- and came up with a small beginning.



As with the original shot taken of the alligator in this post, the colors in the picture are mostly blues, greens, purples and grays but my finished studio quilt won't be that-a-way. Oh no. I just don't have the patience or even desire to find just the right fabrics. I'm a 'work off the top of the pile' kinda girl. And I LOVE the challenge of using up scraps and adore trying to Make It Work.




I don't feel 'accomplished' in drawing so I shy away from it but the piece I've started working on requires a bit of sketching. (Hence the difficulty in beginning).

I plunged in today with drawing the "bones" of my picture and feel very happy indeed. 



I'm posting for Artists In Blogland: Show and Tell Saturday and as usual, posting these pictures and words has made me want to get up off of this chair and into the comfy one in the play room! 





I'm OFF to make art!

11 comments:

  1. It's nice to see how you go about starting your work...I can understand how you get so involved in what you do, all those materials must inspire you so much. Thanks for the photos you posted recently, have made a start on painting (my post 1st Sept) with more to come...wahooo. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool! I can't wait to see the finished product. I marvel at quilts, but don't have the precision for it! Thanks for sharing at Artists in Blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing how other artists approach their work, have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann, Marcia and Dyche Designs! I thought this was a pretty boring post but wanted to get something online for Show and Tell Saturday / Artists in Blogland - which is a site for artists of all media - and has taken the place of the recently closed Artsybloggers. I don't usually show my work in progress until it's progressed MUCH further. Anyway...your comments are very appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating to see your work in progress, thank you for sharing this. Can't wait to see the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Linda! (I can’t wait to see it finished myself). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - amazing photo interpretive quilts and working with such little pieces....very cool. I love the idea of working with photos you've taken and taking them to a new level. Can't wait to see how this one develops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ANTICIPATION! (Hum the old ketchup commercial in your head as you read that word! LOL) We’re all on tenterhooks waiting to see the final piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great beggining of a project. :) Why do you shy away from drawing? Just give it a try and you'll see how much fun it can be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Natasha! I really do enjoy sketching...when I try it...which isn't often...but I'm pushing myself. I had a couple teachers - way back when - that were NOT encouraging when I attempted to draw but I'm participating in the Sketchbook Challenge this year and finding that you're right. It is fun!

    ReplyDelete

Yuckola. More than half of my email has been from anonymous, so.....